Session 3: Storekeeping and Inventory Management

Pharmaceutical management, Information, Clinical trials, Comparison and Current Studies about malaria drugs
jufel

Session 3: Storekeeping and Inventory Management

Postby jufel » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:32 am

Topic originally started by Joseph Yap from the old forum.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached is the refresher course for storekeeping and inventory management

Originally posted by Kathy Webb from the old forum.
----------------------------------------------------------------

In terms of Human Resources related to storekeeping and inventory management:

Have you conducted any training programs on pharmaceutical management and/or quantification of antimalarials in the last 6 months? If so, who (what position and system level) has participated in the training(s).

Are there sufficient staff at each level / geographic area / facility type support the storekeeping and inventory management needs?

Originally posted by Sharri_Hollist from the old forum.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

With respect to antimalarials in Myanmar, only RDT and ACT (Coartem) usage has been collected for every month since 2005, but report submission were not regular and no active monitoring system exists. Analysis of data is also weak in the current situation.

In terms of Human Resources related to storekeeping and inventory management:
- No, we have not conducted any training programs on pharmaceutical management and/or quantification of antimalarials in the last 6 months.
- In central and district levels, there are sufficient staffs and facility types support the storekeeping and inventory management needs but not in the rural and remote areas.

Originally posted by aton_cabugayan from the old forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sharri,

Good day!

Sorry for late response, I am so busy for the preparation of the training. Yes I have conducted training on Basic Concepts on Inventory Management and Logistics Operation for Provincial Supply Officers. I have attached here the course syllabus of the said training. And this coming weeks we will be implementing training for municipal level participants. For the provincial supply officers I tapped the assistance of Philippine Institute for Supply Management.

The RHU/Municipal level training is more on program approach. Topics to be discussed in the training is more on how to respond stock out and to increase the inventory report submission rate.

Based on the comment I have heard from the participants during the provincial level training, I was informed that most of the provinces has insufficient manpower to perform a supply management practices. But most of the trained supply officers they will try their best to implement a good warehouse and inventory management practices given a low number of manpower.

Originally posted by Kathy Webb from the old forum.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Concerning human resource capacity for storekeeping and inventory mangement.

Summary of responses:

Following the PMM and Quantification regional training course in Hanoi, Vietnam in Dec. 2007 no training on storekeeping and inventory management has been conducted in one respondant's country, while in another country provincial supply officers have been trained and trainings are planned for municipal officers.

Both countries noted that at lower levels human resources are insufficient to carry out storekeeping and inventory management as needed.

Issues to consider:

If funding to carry out formal trainings is lacking central or regional level supervisors can take advantage of regular supervisions to provide on-the-job refreshers on storekeeping and inventory management to lower level stores and facility staff responsible for these tasks. It is important that the training materials and topics covered, either in formal trainings or on-the-job refreshers, be adapted to the appropriate level in terms of job tasks, language and tranee capacity level.

In cases where human resourses are insufficient, countries may consider task-shifting among health facility staff to ensure sufficient time and energy is devoted to storekeeping and management of antimalarial and other essential medicines. Appropriate briefings or trainings must be planned if this strategy is used.
Attachments
Basic_Concepts_of_Inventory_Mngt_and_Logistics_Operation_for_Provincial_Supply_Officers.rar
(17.02 KiB) Downloaded 1686 times
Storekeeping_and_Inventory_Management.rar
(205.8 KiB) Downloaded 1505 times